Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Andrew Philip Magyar



Andrew Philip Magyar made his entrance into the word on Saturday, December 5, 2015.  He was due on December 14th, and we had a scheduled c-section on December 10, but he had his own plans.  Here is the story of how he got here. =)

On Friday, December 4th, I worked my last planned day of work.  I finished my last week as busy as ever, and even had a concert.  After work I drove to Disney to pick up Victoria who had spent the day with Aunt Carolyn, but was super tired and needed to come home.  I joked with Philip on the phone that the stress of driving in the Friday afternoon traffic near Disney was going to put me into labor.  

After I got back home and Victoria was in bed, we ordered pizza for dinner, and I joked that the pizza was going to upset my stomach and put me into labor.  (it seems as though I secretly knew) 

Around 2am I woke up and I felt like I had a fever.  I was tense, and I was cold and I could just tell I was feverish.  Philip had fallen asleep on the couch and was actually just coming to bed.  I got up to use the restroom because thats what pregnant people do in the middle of the night when they wake up.

While in the bathroom, I realized my water had broken.  Philip, who had literally just gotten into bed, got back out of bed and we got ready to leave.  

Philip called Ben and Carolyn because we needed someone to come watch Victoria and, he called the grandparents to tell them what was going on.   I showered, we packed our bags (because why would I have this done already, I was only 38 weeks 5 days, ha) and we were on our way around 3.  

At the hospital everything was quiet. We checked in, I got through triage and we were back in a triage room very quickly.  They confirmed my water had broken and started the process of getting me admitted.  Did the fever cause my water to break, or did my water breaking cause the fever?  A question we will never have the answer to! =)  At this point contractions were starting, but nothing was too bad.  They started getting worse as time went on, and they continued to get me hooked up to the IV, getting blood drawn, and ready to go upstairs.  We discussed whether I would want to labor or go ahead and do the c-section.  I wanted to try to labor, because who wants to have major abdominal surgery?  

During the couple hours I was in triage my fever stuck around and got up to 101.  Andrew's heart rate was stuck up in the 170's and that was too high.   Dr. Lee came down and talked to us and because of his fear of me having an infection and Andrew's heart rate he didn't think it was the best idea to labor and possibly end up with bad infections for both of us or another emergency surgery because of his heart rate.  

We decided the c-section was the safest route as Philip and I weren't taking unnecessary risks and we prepared to go up to surgery prep. 

While I was in surgery prep my contractions got stronger and stronger and were coming just a few minutes apart.  At one point the nurse kept asking if I could feel pressure and asked Dr. Lee if he wanted to check me- I am pretty sure she thought the baby was going to come out on her watch.  =) 

Anesthesia came, I got an epidural put in and got cleaned up for surgery.  We could hear the nurses and doctors talking about my fever and not doing the surgery, but because Andrew's hear rate was high and my heart rate was high they decided it was safer to do the surgery rather than leave him in.  Note- doctors and nurses are not good whisperers behind non sound proof curtains.  =) 

By 6:30am-ish we were rolling into OR 3.  They got me all ready, then Philip was brought in and they started the surgery.  

It was very strange having the surgery awake.  I could feel everything they were doing, but there just wasn't pain.  I don't remember much of the surgery with Victoria because it was such a panic and I had to have so much anxiety medication and was out of it.  I got pretty anxious a few times, but the anesthesiologist was great about talking to me and keeping me calm.  

At 7:13 they told Philip to stand up and Andrew was born.  He cried right away and after a photo he was off to be cleaned up.  

He weight 6lbs 9.5 oz.  APGAR scores were 8 and 9 and he came out perfect.  


After I got to meet him for a minute, a nurse took Philip and Andrew to go meet the grandparents and then he was off to the recovery room with his dad while they finished my surgery.  

That's how he got here.  


I joked so many times that my perfect plan would be to finish work on Friday and go into labor Friday night.  It will always be funny to me that it really did work out that way.  






No comments:

Post a Comment