Week 5 was quite the week.
In week 5 Andrew:
-seemed to have colic that gets worse and worse, lasting up to 3 hours a night.
-still got up twice a night, usually 2 and 5 to eat.
-went to the Dr. on Monday to discuss colic, and weighed 9lbs 2oz. Dr. also decided to test his stool for blood incase he was having digestion issues, but didn't think this was the issue.
-celebrated his 1 month birthday.
-ended up in the hospital- that story will follow.
-celebrated Grandpa's birthday at home on Saturday.
Andrew's trip to the hospital this week was exhausting. Thankfully (as I am writing this almost a month later) he is fine and has recovered from whatever he had.
On Wednesday night Andrew was being particularly cranky and when I picked him up, he felt warm. His temp was 100.2. So, I undressed him and checked it again in 20 minutes. It had gone up to 100.5. In newborns, you are told to call the Dr. if their temp goes above 100.4. I called and I was told to go directly to the Children's Emergency Room. Not the urgent care, directly to the hospital.
Because of his age he was taken directly back and I was told by a nurse that things were going to get crazy very quickly and to try to stay calm. She was right, they started doing every test they needed to do. The reality was that he could have a cold, or a stomach virus just as easily as he could have bacterial meningitis. They had to act like it was a serious infection because infants do not show the same symptoms as older children and adults. He was tested for flu, RSV, UTI, blood infections, meningitis, and who knows what else. He was poked with so many needles, got a spinal tap, and had a catheter placed. It was horrible to watch.
After all the testing was done he was admitted to stay in the hospital. Because of his history (me having a fever at birth, and him being treated for infection at birth) he was going to be treated for general infection while they waited for his cultures to grow.
He was admitted around 2am on Thursday morning. I stayed in the hospital with him for the two nights and Philip went back and forth to home to take care of the dog and Victoria. Grandma and Grandpa came and took Victoria to Lakeland on Thursday afternoon and brought her back Saturday.
We stayed in the hospital until Friday evening. He received multiple doses of antibiotics and was closely monitored. All of his labs came back clear, so he was released with the assumption that he was suffering from a virus that would have to run its course.
The staff and care at Arnold Palmer Hospital was wonderful. While the hospital itself needs a facelift, I know he received world class care.
I have pictures from the hospital, not because I intended to share them, but because I am a person who likes to document. I like to remember the good, the bad, the stressful. I like to remember life.
In the ER. Really not looking his best.
In his room, resting.
The best Dad a little guy could ask for.
The experience was exhausting.









No comments:
Post a Comment